Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 449 - Single Culture

I don't miss being single. I don't miss being single at all. Nothing about single life is appealing to me. Now, to those of you who are single: I'm not saying singleness is something to get out of as soon as possible, because it's not. I'm saying I wish I had known, when I was single, that singleness is a culture. THE culture in America. At least in my experience. Allow me to elaborate.

About half of the American population is married (over 18 population) and significantly more than that are living together romantically. And yet, marketing is for singles. "Aha!" You might say, "It is not so!" (BTW - right now, you're faking a British accent) "I have seen the commercials! I have seen the ads! They are for families! Ho!" And hey, maybe you're right. Anthem and I don't have TV (we use netflix mostly) because we don't see the need to pay for channel flipping and a commercial overload, so my knowledge of commercials may be old. But I remember (and have blogged in the past) about how our society is completely consumed with the idea of idiot fathers/husbands and controlling mothers/wives. "But again!" You say, "Families!" 

To that I say, "Bullshit." Look at those commercials. Those aren't for families. Those are for single people with a ring on their finger. Those families are not teams. They are individuals living under the same roof, buying into the lie that their spouse is supposed to make them happy and when that doesn't work - something is wrong with the spouse, not the system. Look closely at those commercials. They portray (and sell to) people whose normal, everyday life, is absolutely miserable. Because everything being sold is to make you less miserable. 

Men - buy NFL Sunday Ticket so you can have your guy friends over and completely ignore your wife and family and be a messy slob who doesn't do anything but watch sports. Because isn't that what all men want? To pretend they're frat boys?

Women - buy these cleaning supplies! Because God knows your husband isn't going to help you clean up, or your miserable, bratty children either. Also - be skinny. NOT for your husband, that's a laugh, no one loves him, especially not you. No, do it so you can FLIRT WITH THE POOLBOY AND FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF. 

Okay, so maybe my tendency to scream at the commercials is another reason why we don't have TV. The point remains. Our entire culture is saturated in single. 

Thing is... Anthem and I are no longer part of that culture. And I swear to you, we are so much happier because of it. Marketing aside (really, I mean it) single culture is exhausting. Flirting, wondering if he likes you, wondering if he's commitment material, how far is too far, I just want to go on a date, the entire bar scene, trying to be available without being too available because what if your grandma is right and being too smart means that you'll be forever alone because boys are intimidated by smart women, and the list goes on for literally ever. It's. Exhausting. It's also bullshit. But its almost impossible to see it when you're in it. 

*Sigh* so much so that it's difficult to explain. So instead, I'm going to focus on what it's like outside of it. 

1) Outside of it, I get to enjoy who I am. "Sure," you think, "Because Anthem loves you for who you are. That's why I'm trying so hard to get someone!" Not exactly. I get to enjoy who I am because I no longer care about 'getting someone'. The more I am myself, the easier I am to be around. That's just logic. 

2) We're a team. He is not an idiot and I am not controlling. He is the leader, but is wise enough to not try and do everything himself. For instance, it is well known that I am the keeper of the checkbook. Because out of the two of us, I'm the best for the job. He's still the leader. 

3) You suffer and joy together. He helps me with the chores I'm not a huge fan of, because doing it together makes it easier. We share the things we LOVE together, and it is all the more joyous because it is shared. 

4) You stop listening to the world to a large extent, and as you do, the silly voices become quieter and quieter and you begin to realize how enormously stupid they always have been. You stop caring about what the world thinks of you, or your marriage and just let it be. You stop wondering how you must look to the outside. You stop waiting for the other shoe to fall. You start becoming aware that you'll never, ever fully know your spouse and that's really okay. Maybe it's even a wonderful thing. You start doing things as one, instead of just together, and begin to understand the difference. You realize that everyone who makes jokes about marriage being miserable makes you sad because you aren't, even though it seems to be the 'fad' to be miserably married. You start to realize that the entire time you were single you were really, really selfish. You begin to realize that you can't become a better person by yourself. 

5) You begin to understand what Paul was talking about. Despite what the culture around you says, being married is a hell of a lot easier than being single. At least it is for us. And for our friends. 

All in all... Single culture sucks. And I'm glad we're not in it anymore. And to be honest, we're working to stay out of it. Which means that most of our closest friends are married. The ones who are single are really very mature. (I'm looking at you, Miss Erica.) Anyway, my prayer for you single ladies (especially, though you guys as well) is to blessed enough to see outside of the culture you're immersed in. And maybe, if we all stop acting like 'culturally acceptable' (Christian or not, virgin or not, promise ring or not, we all still act like single people) single people, we'll all be a lot less miserable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment