Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day Four - The Most Sparkly Thing On Earth

I think I found the most sparkly thing on earth. 

Her name is Sarah. And she lives about an hour from me. She's two, but she'll be three soon. Today, I learned she actually does possess the ability to speak, and has quite a lot to say, once you get her alone. You see, Sarah is the fifth child. Of six. She has four three older brothers, and one older sister. And if you ever met those children, you'd understand why we didn't know Sarah could talk until she was speaking full sentences. 

Each and every one of my dear ones is sparkly like you wouldn't believe, Sarah merely affected me more today because she's the only one willing to cuddle on me that doesn't have an affinity for crapping her pants. I'm not judging him, he's not six months old yet, it's just less appealing for the senses. I don't see them terribly often, only ten or so times a year, but due to my new job, and the changes going on in my heart, I might get to spend more time with my sparkly ones. Today, they were absolutely necessary. 

They grin at the drop of the hat. No one will mock my sparkly ones for being children of a lazy generation. All they do is play. The older ones do their homework. Today they showed me how they feed the baby goats, and let me help them feed the chickens. And the duck. They showed me the Christmas tree they'd cut down themselves to put in the play house and decorated with baling wire and pumpkin seeds. They're amazing, those kids. And I love them. 

Being their only aunt, and frankly their only chance of ever having an uncle (sorry children, I'm working on it, I swear!) I'm the only one whose ever going to tell the world about them. Their father would shoot me right now if he had any way of ever finding this obscure blog and finding I talked about them (even with their names changed). But when I think about the fact that for the time being, I'm the only window the world has to these amazing sparkly children, I wonder what I am missing that you can share with me. What sparkles in your life that is unique to you? What would you share with the world if you had the chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment