Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 440 - I Highly Recommend It

I was on facebook today and was added as a friend by an old friend. He inquired as to why we weren't friends on facebook, and I informed him it was because of his frequent neglect of facebook for months or years at a time. He then asked me how married life was treating me, and I responded that it was excellent and I highly recommend it. And I do. Especially for him.

Because marriage (can be, depending on who is doing the marrying) is very useful for getting outside of yourself. And getting over yourself. I've noticed that I don't post as much 'insightful' posts on here, and it's not because of lack of time. It's because I don't analyze my life so darn much. Which is great for you, because this blog is going to keep going until we hit 1,000 darn it, which is looking like it's going to take a number of years at this point. Which will be really, really fun to look back on later for me. And hey, if you stick around that long, I'll throw us all a party. Though only if you all start commenting on stuff. It's not a friggen diary.

Anyway. Marriage really takes you out of yourself. I'm assuming parenthood does it even more. And of course, you have to be willing. There will always be people who will not change in a marriage, and will be the poorer for it. There will always be selfish spouses, selfish parents. I am thankful I am not married to a selfish spouse, and strive not to be one.

Just... understand that marriage is not for when you 'get your shit together'. Let me tell you how much Anthem and I did not have our shit together when we got married and still don't. It's called life, and right about the time you get it figured out, you die. So stop. Just stop. I'm not telling all those young teens out there to get married either. That's also a bad idea.

It's different for everyone, and you have to follow your heart and your gut and your soul and a little bit your brain. I don't care what society says - marriage is awesome. And it has undeniably made me a better person, and is undeniably making me a better person. Not just a better wife, but a better woman.

So... this whole marriage thing - I highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment