Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 441 - The Best Answer

A few nights ago, Anthem had band practice. He had been exhausted all day (working 8 hours in a day before noon will do that to you) but all that he had requested all day was that there was something to eat when he got home from practice. He would have been happy if I had told him we had milk and cereal. Blessed man. Instead, I made him crab and yellow squash pasta with a basil garlic butter sauce. Okay, so I say it like that so it'll sound fancy. It's not hard. It was fake crab (there have been some great sales lately, and I really enjoy the taste) with some butter and old bay seasoning. It was sauteed yellow squash with some salt and a garlic herb seasoning, and a butter sauce with dried basil, a little onion powder, and some garlic. It's really, really not hard. 

As we sat down to eat a late dinner, I had a question for him. "Does it ever bother you that you never know what we're going to eat? This afternoon I didn't think to ask you, I just made potatoes and pork chops."

He looked at me like I was a little crazy. "It doesn't bother me at all to always have delicious meals placed in front of me. This pasta? This is fantastic love, thank you."  And he emptied the plate. At the end he said, "I want more. No, that's not true. I wish my stomach was bigger so I could eat more because that was so delicious."

Best answer he could have given. I would not have minded if he had said, "You know, I'd really appreciate a little more x, y, and z in our diet." In fact, I would have gladly jumped on it. Instead, he told me how much he appreciated having me cook him food when we got hungry. 

The next day, he took it one step further. We were out running errands and chatting in the car, and he told me once again how much he appreciated all that I do. He doesn't have to worry about money. Every bill is pain in full, on time. Every meal is delicious. (That's not true, but I appreciated the thought.) The house is clean and kept. And I plan for our future as much as possible. He said it's a huge weight off his mind to just not have to worry about any of that stuff. 

And I appreciate, so much, how hard he works to provide for us as I'm still looking for work. (Looking like I found something though, details later!) And so I make sure that every penny is used wisely. It means the world to me when he tells me how much he appreciates me. I should really tell him how true it is, how much I appreciate him, more often. 

His humility and appreciation are more than I could have asked for. And because of them, I know we're going to be good for a very long time. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment