Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 395 - Perception

In case you didn't know, I recently got a tattoo on my chest. "Lord, cleanse me of anything that breaks Your heart." is what it says in small, cursive looking script just under my collarbone, from shoulder to shoulder. It's understated. I even think its classy. It's beautiful. I've gotten a number of compliments about it. The worst thing anyone has ever said was, "It's lovely. I think it's a huge mistake, but it's still lovely."

Well. Until today. A customer commented on my tattoo. "I don't mean to be offensive," He said, "But may I ask what your tattoo says? I like the look of it."

I told him, and he told me about a tattoo he wanted to get. A minute at the most. When his purchase was over, I wished him a good day and he left. My boss had her lips pursed. She gave me the once over and pulled my tank top up until it covered my tattoo. "If only this was a little higher." She said.

I rolled my eyes and tugged it down. I have a visible tattoo on the back of my neck that she's never said anything about, and a coworker of mine has one on her shoulder that she's never said anything about either. And if its a faith issue, the store is filled with Christian bible verses plastered on cook books and note pads.

I guess it's just a different perception of what a tattoo, specifically my tattoo, means. Everyone else sees it as art at the least, and at most, joins me in my prayer. But because she's so worried about offending anyone, she is offended by it. I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment