Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day 411 - I Married A Stranger

When Anthem and I got married, we both understood that we knew just enough about each other to get married, and the rest we'd learn. We knew enough to love, and enough to trust; everything else we took on faith.

It isn't exactly a popular notion. Many of my peers disagreed with me about it. They believed that you should know just about everything about someone before you marry them. I did once too. But I've come to believe that it's impossible, to a certain extent. I won't know everything there is to know about Anthem in the next twenty years, how on earth could I expect to learn them in a year or two while we're dating? No, instead I got to know his heart as much as I could, and what I found there was a man I had no desire to be apart from. A man I trusted enough to entrust my whole life to him. The rest... the rest I took I took on faith. 

I love that about us. It gives me... freedom. As I hope it gives Anthem freedom. Freedom to be ourselves, instead of who we're expected to be. He surprises me every single day, and I really don't think that'll change as time goes on. Because Anthem is so much more, so much more complex, so much more real, so much more  layered, and so much more unique than I could have possibly dreamed. 

Yesterday, we had decided on sloppy joes and mac and cheese for dinner. But I wasn't feeling so great, so he made it for us. "Are you going to let me make it with yogurt?" He asked. 

"Make what with yogurt?" I responded. 

"The mac and cheese. We had this discussion. I told you it make it tangy and you said tangy and cheesy did not go together."

I thought for a moment. I don't remember saying that, but it sounds like something I would say. I gave him a kiss, "You make it however you want to, love." 

He grinned. And then we both realized that we didn't have any plain yogurt, just fruity stuff. In my head, that was it. It had been worth a try, but one doesn't mix fruit yogurt with mac and cheese. In Anthem's head, it was time to experiment. "Peach yogurt." He said. 

I tried not to make a face, and told him again, if he thought it would work, I would try it with an open mind because that man can create combinations that I would never even think of that leave me craving for more. And as gross as it may sound, I assure you, peach yogurt makes mac and cheese mind blowingly good. It was amazing. And as we started digging in, he told me, "I love sloppy joes. I have since I was a kid. But I always used to eat them with peaches. Canned peaches, which is kind of gross, but I do like the flavor combination. I'd just never figured out a way to make it a dish you'd find on a menu, you know? How do you make this something we can put in our restaurant someday? And now I have it. With creamy mac and cheese." He's completely right. I would order that dish off a menu. It's delicious. And because he had the freedom to be himself and experiment, he was able to achieve a small life goal while making dinner on a Wednesday night. 

That... that makes me really happy about our marriage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment