Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Day 429 - He Can Do All Things

Philippians 4:13 (ESV) "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

I love that verse. I even love the song. I hear it all the time as much time as I spend with the worship team at church. But I think we've forgotten the real meaning of it. We've taken it out of context. We sing it in churches that are not persecuted, we sing it for lives that are cushioned. Let's look at what is said directly before it.

Philippians 4:12 "I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need."

I have never been hungry. Nor truly cold. I've always had a roof over my head. I've been lonely, but never truly alone. I've always had friends and family. I do not know want.

I was talking to a friend today, who is going through some rough times. Rough times that are not her fault, nor her husband's fault. Rough times that are made harder by the inconsideration and laziness of others. And she's stretched to her breaking point. She can't go much longer. But Christ can. Christ knows where she is, He has not abandoned her, and she can reflect Him in this. Because Christ can do all things.

I keep telling myself that as I look at my bills this month. Well. As I look back and forth between my bills and my bank account. Two months ago I would have been having a small mental breakdown. This month I made note of everything that needs to be paid and how much and know that God knows, and is bigger than a number in a checkbook. My relationship with Him is more than some numbers in a checkbook. The end. I closed my checkbook and cracked open my Bible. And now I'm hungry for the Word so I'm going to let you go.

Just remember, anything is possible through Him. It's not just an inspirational text to put over a picture of a sunrise. It's a real thing. He can help me pay my bills, or He can choose not to, and I can trust His decision either way. Because trusting Him in ALL things, especially finances, is only possible through Him. And all things are possible through Him. And I trust Him. Which is awesome, because when money (even lack thereof) becomes no big deal, life's priorities sort themselves out rather quickly.

*Note: I am not advocating laziness or irresponsibility with finances. I am doing my best to find a job, and Anthem is the hardest working man I know. Because we are both doing the best we can, I am able to have peace about our finances. Just wanted to make that clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment