Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day 423 - Grit Your Teeth And Learn

I'm writing this while trying not to move much. Okay, it's not that bad, I'm just resting. I worked out today, you see. And while it's definitely getting better (the first time my legs ached so bad I could hardly sleep), it still hurts. Today it's my abs and my thighs. Granted, the more I do it, the less it hurts. And since Anthem has started having me drink protein shakes after my workouts, it hurts a whole lot less. But the thing about it is going from nothing to regular. Once or twice a year isn't going to cut it. Not only is it going to hurt like the dickens every time I do it, which will certainly discourage me from loving it, but I'm never going to be comfortable doing it. The more I do it, the more I feel the endorphins working after it, and the less I feel like an out of shape idiot.

I think the same is true for a number of things. Practice, persistence, and toughing it out. For instance: I suck at being still before God and loving people. I never really practice either. I know I suck, but I don't do anything about it. Same with loving people. I am rather content to just loathe from afar. Which is the exact opposite of how you learn to love people. Yes. Learn. It's not magic. It doesn't just happen. It's getting closer to individuals so instead of seeing willfully ignorant masses, you (I) see individuals with real needs, emotions, and in depth motivations and experiences. You (I) see real hurts, needs, gifts, and realize that everyone has something to teach you.

And how awesome that elderly lady in church is, because after service she thanked you (me) for dancing in worship and filling her heart with joy for the younger generation. Just saying.

Anthem told me once that being still before God wasn't easy for him either, he just spent a lot of time trying, a lot of time worshipping, and a lot of time concentrating on it. And now, it's easier for him. He practiced.

I often think that spiritual disciplines will just come naturally, but they require practice like everything else. We all know to be careful when we pray for patience, but while we can use prayer like a protein shake to help us build those skills and characteristics as we're led by the Holy Spirit, we still have to practice. Even if it's really uncomfortable at first. Especially if it's really uncomfortable at first.


No comments:

Post a Comment