Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 420 - Don't Be Afraid

I could literally spend a hundred blogs just talking about this topic so I'm going to do my best to keep this one short and concise. In order to keep me on task, I'm relying on my formula.

1: Grand, sweeping statement: My whole life I've been surrounded by guys (mostly family) that say things like 'trust me' and then do something incredibly reckless. The fact that I am alive today is a testament that God doesn't always punish the stupid, nor their trusting little companions. Once I hit a certain age, however, I quickly realized that just because someone is an adult male does not mean they have any concept of common sense or minimum safety requirements. Even after that, I still found myself in loads of dangerous situations because a man said 'trust me'.

2: Transitional statement leading to an alternative not previously considered: Which is probably why I don't always trust Anthem when I should. The other day he asked me to make sure this dog didn't go in the house while they were unloading some stuff and needed to prop the doors open. My first response was 'No. I do not know this dog. This dog could bite me.' and Anthem said, "Do you really think I would put you in any situation that would endanger you?"

3: Conclusion with a weirdly topical example: He's completely right. Sure I still have to run my brain through an extra filter of 'It doesn't matter if I think this might be a little dangerous. Anthem wouldn't let me get hurt.' when I start to freak out a little. But he proves himself all the time, even in the little things he's watching out for me. Like today, "Love," he said, "I was thinking, and we need to get you another game for the DS." (Before anyone says anything, we thrift shop and don't spend more than 10 dollars and use trade ins.) "You just beat the game you played the most." I realize it seems trivial, but even I hadn't thought of that. The DS is what both of us do when we want to be together but end up doing something that one of us finds mind numbing. (Grocery shopping for him, any other kind of shopping for me.) And it really meant a lot that even in something so small, his first thought was for me.

4: Concluding statement emphasizing my point: Because if I can trust him in the little things, I can trust him in the big things. And just so you all know, the dog was indeed a harmless pug who just loved attention and was incredibly friendly. Anthem is a dog trainer after all.

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely suggest the Professor Layton games. They are time consuming, easily picked up and set down in between puzzles, and super fun.

    ReplyDelete