Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day One Hundred and Eighty Five - Love On vs. Love

People seem to be easily confused by something that has a very clear distinction to me. Namely, Love On and Love. I can understand the confusion, they have the same word in them. But they're not the same thing.

To 'love on' someone is to show them affection. The method depends. Sometimes it's about service. Bringing them a coffee, running an errand for them, baking them a pie, anything that really goes out of your way to bring a smile to theirs. Sometimes it's about nothing more than attention. A good morning text, a joke during the day, answering an inconvenient phone call, or simply using a term of endearment. Sometimes it's about touch. A kiss on the forehead, a decent hug, even an innocent cuddle while watching a movie. Sometimes it's about talking, listening, laughing, crying, or any combination of them. To love on someone is to give of yourself whatever it is that they need.

To love someone is a completely different verb. I know, there are a lot of forms of love, and we've already discussed, I'm like the Greeks on steroids. But all loves, at their core, are made of the same stuff. And it's just not the same thing. To love on someone could mean that you love them, but doesn't have to. I can love on people I don't love.

The difference, for me at least, is calling. Sometimes I feel lead to 'love on' someone. And they come and go in my life and in a little while, I won't remember much of our experiences together. It doesn't make the experience any less genuine, or my loving on somehow unreal. But there is a difference.

For people I love, on the other hand, I cannot help but love on them. It comes naturally. I have to find a way to express how much I love them. Because to love on those I love takes no effort. It just is. It's like breathing. Granted, some cases are tricky. It's hard to love on someone when you don't know what they need, or what they want. But the love never gets tricky. Just how to show it.

Just... figured I'd clear that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment