Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day One Hundred and Eighty Three - Moving

Soooo in case you haven't heard I have a new job. That requires me to get up at 5:00am. Which is not exactly the easiest thing to get used to. I pretty much just pour coffee down my throat in the morning because I need to be able to think, quickly and accurately, by 6:30. And need to continue to think, quickly and accurately, until 3pm. I wasn't entirely sure how this was going to go. After all, everyone knows my brain doesn't really kick in until 9am at the earliest. 

But then I discovered the power of movement. From 6:30am - 3:00pm (excepting lunch) there isn't any down time. I am constantly moving. There is always something to do. Something that needs to be done. Finish one job early? Start the next early because you never know how the day is going to go. There is no down time. And my day flies by. By the time I realize it's 9, it's bordering on 11. By the time I realize it's 1pm, it's 3 and it's time to go home. Movement makes the time fly. 

I think that's really what my life has been missing. Time has been doing funny things in my life for years now. For a very long time, it seemed to stop. And I couldn't move forward, I couldn't move backwards, I couldn't move at all. I was stuck. I can't explain it. Maybe it was me, maybe it was more. But I was stuck. And parts of me still seem to be that way. But slowly, I'm starting to move. One foot in front of the other.

Until I'm in a full out sprint. Movement is the key to forgetting everything else, to not looking back, to not worrying about the future, to just move. To do what needs to get done. To smile when you're ahead and bust ass when you're behind. To do what needs to get done and most importantly, to never stop moving. It is so much harder to start again once you've stopped.

I know a lot of awesome people, but there is one that has really shown me the truth of The Principle Of Movement. We'll call him Colin. I have watched him go through so much that would have broken me. We became friends as he was in the middle of getting a divorce. I have watched him work his ass off to make a livable wage and provide for his children. I have watched him take the time to make a friend feel special, close out the world, and just enjoy time with them, even when he was bleary eyed from exhaustion. I've watched him take blow after blow from life recently. I've watched him endure stress that would have me in inconsolable tears with a shrug and a smile. I've watched his kindness toward people who only brought him problems. It's fairly safe to say that I have watched him. 

And he's not perfect. By any stretch of the imagination. But I want to be like him when I grow up. Because through it all, he has never stopped moving. Life has never once made him stop. That simply amazes me. I want to have the strength of character, the strength of mind, the strength of will to never stop moving like that. I want to be able to bend when life requires it, to stand unshakable when I have to, to never give in, to never give up, to be so incredibly fluid as I define each moment of my life with my presence. The way he does. 

I want to be like him when I grow up.


No comments:

Post a Comment