Monday, May 28, 2012

Day One Hundred and Eighty Seven - Acting My Age

You remember how I said I wanted to be like my buddy Colin when I grew up? Here's the nasty little secret about that... I am grown up. Granted, we never really stop learning and growing but... I am an adult. I should act like one. Sometimes, acting like an adult sucks. 

For instance, instead of just being rage-y at the world, I have to accept the fact that I am hurt and disappointed by a close friend and there is nothing I can do but say a prayer and let go because no one deserves to be treated like that. Instead of focusing on the uncertainties of my present and future, I ought to be doing all I can to live well in the moment. I need to really start prioritizing my life and worry less about stepping on people's toes and worry more about doing what's best for me. Twenty-Four is too old to be carried away by life. It is, however, the perfect age to start taking control of the life I am taking responsibility for. I am too old not to laugh more, to relax more, to do more. I am too old to watch as much TV as I do, too old to not know what my dream is and chase it. Too old to not be seeking out adventures and conquering them. Too old to not be taking care of my body. 

I am too old to still be acting like a pouty college kid who knows it all. So... here's a promise that I'm going to change my attitude from pouty to grateful. I'm going to change my time from wasted to well spent. I'm going to talk less and do more. 

Because I respect the friends of mine that are adults and act like it. I respect what they've taught me. And I refuse to be someone who still acts like a middle schooler in their mid twenties. And often times, I've been guilty of that. 

So to my friends that have had to put up with my pouting, with my over analyzing, with my childishness, I'm sorry. But thank you for putting up with me and teaching me how to be the type of person I can respect. Without you, I'd have never realized how much I could be, nor would I have been motivated to work for it. But to be more like you? That is motivation in and of itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment