Monday, January 30, 2012

Day Sixty Eight - Onions in Butter

Onions in butter. I've had hour long conversations about how that is indeed the best smell in the world if you're hungry. It's savory. It's mesmerizing. It's a siren call that lets you know there is some really good food headed your way. If you know the smell, you know what I'm taking about. If you don't, go find someone who loves to cook and ask them to make you ANYTHING that starts with onions in butter. But my blog isn't about cooking. Its about sparkly marshmallows and the rabbit hole. That's right. You guessed it. Analogy.

Onions in butter is a constant in the universe. It will always smell like heaven on earth. It doesn't matter if you're having a bad day or a great one. It doesn't matter if you screwed up at work, or if your friend is mad at you, or if you feel lost in this life of constant decisions. It doesn't matter if everything is going well. Onions in butter is constantly, consistently good. Some things in life just are. 

Most of our constants in life change. Our best friends change over the years, our family shrinks and grows as time goes by. We create our own families. We move from our childhood home and start on our own. We lose our parents. But onions in butter doesn't change. and neither does the God we serve. 

But just because some constants change over time doesn't mean that we are to be rootless souls. Take the time to appreciate your constants while you have them, and don't be afraid to count on them. Onions and butter will smell good every single time I start to fry them. My family will be there for me, even when we don't get along. I can come home to my wonderful apartment, even though I know I won't live here forever. And just like onions and butter, my God is good all the time and I always have cause to praise Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment