Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day Sixty Five - The Author of All Things

Sometimes, I have the irritating habit of stressing out about things that truly do not need to be stressed out about. Sometimes, I worry about things that I have no control over, and thusly waste a lot of energy. Sometimes, I forget that my life was written before I took my first breath and neglect to acknowledge the author, let alone look to Him for direction. If I had the perspective that my God really is the Author of all things, not only the Creator, then I would worry and stress a heck of a lot less.

I make the distinction between Author and Creator because there is one. He didn't just Create us and take a giant step back once He had set things in motion, the way the Diests believe. He is as intimately involved as an Author writing each move a character makes. Don't take my analogy too far, I do believe in free will, but I argue that having free will in no way 'trumps' omniscience. Just because I choose it, doesn't negate the fact that He knew I was going to. And unlike a human author, the Author invites us to join Him in the story He desires for our lives. He desires growth and redemption and glory, but like any good character, it takes time and trial to truly change.

But I have given up control of my life, most of it (I'm human, I struggle) anyway, and invited Him to take over for me. In my few years on earth, I've made some terrible messes when I took control of my own life. I always take responsibility, there is no passing that off, but when I took control, I always wound up in a very deep pile of shit. It is only when I hand over control that things begin to go smoothly again.

So here is a cheer to the residents of the Rabbit Hole, to not having control. And to constantly trying to remember that we gave up control for a reason, and to take it back in stormy weather is the worst possible decision we can make. He can get us through, without Him, we will most definitely crash. To not stressing, and to mixed metaphors. To having faith that all will be well, in this life or the next, and to having the gift of wisdom, for surely I can take no credit, of being second in command. To all things that make little to no sense to those standing on the outside, and to the peace that passes understanding, through storm and calm, through victory and defeat, through life and death, that all IS well.

No comments:

Post a Comment