Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day Sixty Four - Just A Thought

There is a lot I could say today. About cooking, or work, or life in general. But I only had one real sort of epiphany today. And that is: I live like royalty.

I mean really. When I want a cup of tea, it takes 2 minutes. I take a cup, I push a lever to get a flow of clean water right into my kitchen, put in the microwave to heat it quickly, and add a tea bag. No one in the history of ever has been able to make tea that quickly. When I want roast chicken, I go to my freezer, add a little spice, and put it in the oven. Poof boom voila! I have chicken. Today, I ate chicken blt wraps. A tortilla with mayo, roast chicken, bacon bits, baby spinach, and grape tomatoes. It was delicious. And until this century, IMPOSSIBLE to eat in the winter. I have fresh baby spinach in January in Iowa. Same with the grape tomatoes. Look outside. Never before could people eat like this! And I don't even think about it on a daily basis.

Or how about the fact that I am never cold unless I have to be. I live indoors, away from the elements at all times unless I choose to be out in them. NEVER BEFORE IN HISTORY has this been possible to the level that it is now. We decide what our environment will be. Royalty didn't have this luxury in all the history of humanity.

Or travel. We can go anywhere we want around the world in a matter of hours. Not days or weeks or months. HOURS. And for not an excess amount of money. This is incredible!

The life of a middle or even lower class American is better than that of royalty in all the history of the world before us. That floors me. And I thank God for it. So next time you browse the fridge for a snack I encourage you to thank God for the luxury we all enjoy each and every day.

*P.S.* Lets also be thankful for indoor plumbing. I like showers and baths, but I LOVE waste management.

No comments:

Post a Comment