Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day Three Hundred and Eighty - DIY Day

I woke up late today. Really, really late. I slept for 13 straight hours. Slept right through church. Didn't open my eyes to the world until 11:30. My internal clock told me it was 9:30. Clearly there was some miscommunication going on. 

But I didn't let it stop me. As most of you know, I got incredibly ill around the new year. The recovery has been slower than I could have possibly imagined. I've been back at work for a week and a half and Friday was the first day I felt completely back to normal. So this was the first weekend I felt normal. So instead of sitting on the couch for endless hours, I actually did stuff all day. And even though I got a late start, I managed to accomplish more today than I have in the past week. And it felt awesome. 

Here's my list:

1) DIY Facial. I did this today, and my skin feels like I spent hundreds of dollars at a spa. And I had all of the ingredients on hand so it cost me nothing. Seriously. Do it. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour. Worth every second. 

2) Homemade Breakfast Bars packed with protein and fiber. Here's the recipe (approximately: remember, I just wing stuff and hope for the best.) 

1/2 18oz Jar of Crunchy Peanut Butter
2 cups quick oats oatmeal
1 cup golden flax seed meal
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together and press into buttered baking pan. The pan should be at least 1 inch deep. Press until it's about 1/2 inch thick. 

Blend two bananas, 1 6oz greek yogurt, and 1 cup frozen (or fresh) strawberries. Spoon over the bars and spread evenly. Cover the whole thing with wax paper and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours. 6 is better. Cut into individual bars (you decide how big you want them) and wrap them in wax paper and put them in the freezer. Take them out for a quick, on the go breakfast. 

So delicious. 

3) Rag Rolls. I love having curly hair. Love it. But I'm lazy. I cannot curl my hair with a curling iron. It takes forever. And it doesn't look natural. And it'll fall out before lunch. And did I mention it takes forever? However, there is another way. Take an old towel and cut it into strips. Make sure they're at least 9 inches long and 1/2 in thick. Take a shower. Wash you hair. When you get out, add mousse. Take small chunks (the more you'll do it, the more you'll learn what works best for your hair) and use the strips of towel like you would a curling iron or roller. Tie them into place. Apply hair spray. Go to sleep. When you wake up, remove them and TA-DA you have curly hair that will last all day. 

I think I'm going to try and do a DIY day every Sunday, or at least once a week. So if you try any of the things I post, let me know how they worked for you! Especially if you do something to make them better or easier. Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment