Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day Three Hundred and Eighty Five - Pay Attention

There are a number of saying encouraging us to do this. To pay attention. Take time to smell the roses. To slow down and notice the little things. But we don't. And we should. Not because roses smell nice. They're not my favorite truth be told. Lavender is much better. I digress. 

When I slow down, I don't smell more things than I did before. But I certainly notice them. When I slow down, I don't need nearly as many things, I can make do with what I have. I'm more thankful for what I have. Slowing down puts things in perspective. It makes the big things smaller, and the small things bigger.

It's a lot like I was talking about yesterday. Slowing down allows us to react the right amount, rather than over, or under reacting. It allows us to cry, and reflect that after it, our clarity returns and life is not so bad. But under expressing emotion is a good way to have a breakdown. It's a good way to ensure that eventually, you will over react. 

I don't believe that suppression was ever part of God's plan, and yet it seems to me as if it has become a foundation in modern day Christianity. We're taught to fake joy, to convince ourselves that we ought to feel that way, and project it, whether or not we feel it. We're taught to suppress any unpleasant, or ugly emotions. Not deal with, not work through, suppress. Suppress anger, jealousy, depression, longing, confusion, etc. Which is less than healthy. Suppression will get us nowhere. 

But slowing down will. How is anyone supposed to want to be like us when suppression and faking makes our entire lives a lie? Yea, that's a great idea. Or, we could be real. We could be human. We could love genuinely, and struggle through but not suppress. We could find our joy rather than pretending we've already achieved it. 

Slow down. Realize that being genuine is far more important than being the way you think you ought. Pay attention to the world around you, and remember how small, and how infinitely loved you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment