Friday, December 9, 2011

Day Sixteen - What He's Good For

I think it was over three years ago that I had the phone call that today's subject is based on. We'll call him Jonah. I was searching for answers. Answers that had gone denied to me for years, either by being blown off or... no mostly just getting blown off. We were talking about Christianity. I hadn't practiced my faith in years. I had prayed occassionally, but nothing really more than that. But I wanted more. I just... wasn't sure church was the place I could find it. I'd been burned a few times by Christians who were supposed to be leaders, but I knew I wanted more with God. And if I was going to find any answers, Jonah was going to have them. He was a PK (Preacher's Kid) going to a school with an amazing Ministry dept.. He was going to have the answers. And he did. Mostly. But as I was asking my questions, I asked him one that to me seemed rather basic, and yet he swore he'd never heard before.

"What can God do for me now? I mean, heaven is great and all and I appreciate the eternal life, but I need help now."

Truth be told, I do not remember his answer. At all. And I feel sort of terrible about that because it was important at the time. But it was three years, and a whole different person ago. And I think it's time for me to answer the question. Because it's important for me to remember exactly why I dove into the Rabbit Hole, and why I am determined to stay here. Why this insane life is the life that I willingly choose. Over and over and over again. That's right my dear friends, there is a reason beyond the sadomasochistic pleasure I derive from beating my head against a wall.

To answer the question: He gives peace beyond understanding. I still stress out a lot, but in the middle of the biggest hurricanes of stress filled life, there is a peace that keeps the world from falling in and crushing you. I stress out about the little things because I don't trust enough, but He's never let me fall. And when I need Him the most, He's always there. To comfort, to console, to fight for you when you're too tired.

He gives wisdom beyond your years. I've made some giant mistakes, its true. (Remember that week we talked about yesterday?) But I can tell you some giant mistakes I didn't make because it went against what I knew was best for me, or what was best for others. And I just knew, somehow, to say no at the right times to avoid truly massive disasters. And I'm really thankful for that.

He gives more than I ever dreamed. Just knowing that He holds my past, present, and future in His hands is one of the most comforting thoughts I have. Having Him in my life is the most rewarding thing in my life by far. Honestly, I'd be a Christian even if Heaven wasn't part of it.

In Him I found everything I had been looking for. I found satisfaction, love, devotion, peace, adventure, comfort, and community. It's the best decision I ever made, to pursue God with my whole life. And I wouldn't have made that decision without Jonah and his phone calls. So thanks Jonah. I owe you one. And maybe, I can be someone's Jonah someday.

1 comment:

  1. We've been calling him Jonah for so long. I forgot how that even started.

    ReplyDelete