Sunday, December 25, 2011

Day Thirty One - Like A Bandit

Overwhelmed. That is what I am. In every sense. The gifts this season have been incredible. Far more than I ever expected, though I admit half of them were indeed answered prayer. This season I got my dream job, and make enough money to at it to support myself and help support my family. I get excited when I get up because I genuinely enjoy my job, my coworkers, and find my work fulfilling. It is the biggest answer to prayer in years. And it couldn't have come at a better time. Not to take away from the awesomeness of my boss (which can't be done) but the timing was pretty Divine. I needed to be at the right place in my life, both circumstantially, and frankly spiritually. Without the last two years of struggle and growth, I'd have never been prepared for this job, or have recognized it for the gem that it is.

On top of those two massive prayers being answered, I also happened to get everything I wanted for Christmas and more. I asked for two things, socks and the video game Viva Pinata. I stole 2 pairs of wool socks from my boyfriend (now ex, but when I 'borrowed' them we were dating) and over the past 4 years since I stole them have managed to wear them out. Completely. They no longer have a bottom. It was time for new ones. And my non wool, regular socks have started to come out of the dryer with the elastic still stretched. New socks. Viva Pinata. All I wanted.

I got wool socks, new socks, Viva Pinata, Banjo Kazooie, Bioshock 2, gift cards to Promenade (the local movie theatre), gift cards to pampered chef, a 3 foot long sharpened samurai sword (not even kidding about that one, it will one day hang in my home office), an apron for my many cooking endeavors, a twilight board game (my sister in law really does have the same sense of humor as me), chocolate, and coffee. Not to mention getting to spend the entire day with my brother (who has gotten a lot better over the past few years) and his wife and their six, beautiful, lovely, funny, wonderful children. How can any present, Christmas or other, compare with snuggling with my niece Sarah as she tells me all about her dolly? And I got presents AND Sarah.

I made out like a bandit. I got everything I wanted, and so much more. I could have never anticipated that 2011 was going to be the best Christmas eve of my adult memory. And knowing that 2012 is going to be even better (if we get there, hoping all of those History Channel specials on Nostrodamus and the Mayans were wrong) because I'll finally be able to afford to get my friends presents. Nieces and nephews, prepare to be spoiled! I digress.

The point of all of this is a simple, I was overwhelmed. (Note: I am not going to transfer this into "And it hit me that I hadn't even counted the sacrifice of Christ into the equation and burst into tears" thing. Nope. Not going there. I'm talking about Jesus tomorrow, it being Christmas and everything.) I was overwhelmed by the physical blessing. I think Christians often times neglect the whole physical aspect of life. There's not just church and everything else, the soul and everything else, and prayer time and the rest of your life. It'd be a fairly crappy religion if it worked that way. Well, actually, when it works that way it is a really crappy religion. God is in every part of our life, joy is His gift and pain His megaphone. And this Christmas He was there, holding me like I was holding Sarah, and smiling as I was overwhelmed with happiness from my physical gifts, in the same way I smile when Rachel just about passed out from excitement over the massive amounts of my little pony toys she got. This Christmas I was showered with physical delights. Games, socks, my brother's kids, spades, and far too many sweets. He was even sweet enough to give me a renewed friendship from the past. (I'm telling you, that part of life is still in rewind.)

This Christmas I made out like a bandit.

No comments:

Post a Comment