Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day Twenty Five - Presidents and Assholes

Tonight was a Sunday Dinner, and like they always seem to be, it was really necessary to get me back to where I needed to be. After dinner (which was delicious) we played cards. A game called Presidents and Assholes. If you know the game, let me add, there was no drinking involved. I like it better when there is no drinking, because it got hilarious. Presidents were naming 3 wilds at a time, there was an asshole santa hat, and every time there was a social, we did a cheers with our Mt. Dews. Adam definitely lost, as he was mostly the asshole. But he had a few meteoric rises to President that were truly majestic.

Which of course, I am now going to tie into something in my life, because if there is something being 2.5% done with this blogging adventure has taught me, its that my life is more like a sitcom than I'd ever realized. Ever since I graduated college, I've been struggling for money. Making it, but just barely. My goal is to one day be able to take on all the financial responsibilities of my home, so that my mother works because she wants to, not because she has to. And for the very first time ever, that goal is now within sight. It's not quite within reach, but I can see it. It's now in the realm of possibility. And that... That is amazing. 

Part of it is providence, part of it is just dumb luck, but I'm not going to take myself out of the equation. Ever since I was offered an opportunity with my current company, I have been busting my ass to do the best possible job. And it's starting to pay off. I truly believe it was always going to, but it's hard, believing in a company at the ground floor, working for money that hasn't shown up. It's not easy on the bank account either. But whenever my boss called, and asked for something, I made sure I could deliver. I said yes. Even if it meant I had to work late, or a weekend. Even if it meant lost sleep, a shortened social schedule (okay, introvert that I am, I never really minded having an excuse to bow out of social obligations but keep with me here) or even an ability to get a second job to try and put a little more black in the bank account. And it paid off. For the first time, ever, in my entire life, my boss has recognized my hard work, and rewarded it. She knows that when she needs something done, she can call me, and I'll get it done. And she pays me accordingly. 

In the monetary part of life, I went from being an asshole to a president in a few short months. (Granted, my presidency is making enough to start saving, and be able to give more, but that's been my ambition from the start.) Sometimes, life can't be controlled, and my circumstances may change just as quickly and I'll be an asshole once again. But until then, I'm going to bask in being a President in my own right. I've earned that. 

1 comment: