Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day Ten - The Quiet Season

I love snow. I love snow so much. I love the entire season. It's a glitter lovers season. The world, at least the American one, loves everything that is sparkly this season. Christmas lights, and candles, and tinsel. The snow makes everything three times as sparkly. It reflects the sun, the moon, the starlight.

But I love it for a different reason, if it's possible to believe. I love it because it makes the whole world quiet. Snow is a blanket for the world, tucking it in while it sleeps away the winter. I love it because during the rest of the year when everything in life moves so quickly its hard to breathe, during the winter, during the snow, it slows down long enough for me to catch up.

Unfortunately, when the world quiets down, my subconscious gets a chance to speak up. When I slow down, everything that I've been putting off rises to the surface. I didn't realize, until today, while watching the snow drift and dance, how many unanswered questions I had. The questions swirling in my head are as patient as the season though. Like a good cup of tea that needs to seep, these questions need to swirl around and not be rushed. Who do I want to be? Which paths do I need to take to become that person? What do I want my future to look like? Questions that might very well take all season to answer. Which isn't a bad thing. Spring is the best time to have those questions answered and be able to act on those answers.

As for now, I sit down when the sun goes down, holding a cup of tea, wrapped up in a blanket, pondering, and looking out at the fresh snow. When spring comes, will I have a fresh start? Or will I be in the same place, content while life moves around me for a while longer? Only time will tell. I'm excited to find out the answers myself. Until then, winter, tuck me in like you tuck in the world, and let me rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment