Sunday, December 25, 2011

Day Thirty Two - I Celebrate The Day

In all of the "Jesus is the reason for the season" stuff, I think we all lose sight of what this holiday should be about. Notice I didn't say, "is supposed to be about". There is no denying the fact that we Christians merely took over a pagan holiday and made it our own instead. I'm sure there was a pagan somewhere standing on the street corner shouting, "Remember! Thor is the reason for the season!". Jesus wasn't even born in the winter. He was born in the spring. The exact day wasn't recorded. Because early Christians didn't think the day of His birth was overly important. It wasn't when He was born that matters, it was why He was born.

Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus, but I think we often confuse it with our modern birthday celebrations. We're not celebrating the day He was born to celebrate His life, we celebrate His birth because it was the day He was born to die and rise again. It was the day heaven came to earth, the day our Savior took His first breath. I just... maybe it's just me but I don't really understand how that equates to our celebrations with cake and balloons. Congrats, Jesus! If You'd stayed on earth, you'd be 2011ish years old! Really? Pretty sure He doesn't care.

Pretty sure He wants us to realize the fact that He is still alive. That He did overcome death. That He did rise. That He did save us from death. That He chose to came. As a human, as flesh, to save us. That He came humbly, not royally. That He came according to prophesy that stretched across thousands of years. THAT is what its all about. So no. At my house we don't bake Jesus a cake. And we never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment