Friday, November 2, 2012

Day Three Hundred and Forty - And I'm The Weird One

I'm tired tonight. Tired of living in this society. Tired of this culture. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for my country and my rights and my equality. But there are parts I don't agree with or like either.

Like our culture's tendency to portray men as big dumb idiots that women keep around purely for procreation. (Don't believe me? Watch a commercial. Who is making the decisions? Who controls the household? The checkbook? Yea.) I don't want a marriage like that. I have no intention of trying to be in control of every aspect of my home or husband. We'll be partners. I have no intention of marrying an idiot. I have no intention of treating my incredible man as if he is an idiot. And yet... I'm the weird one.

Like our culture's tendency to treat relationships like they're disposable paper plates. It literally hurts me to overhear conversations about this. (Note: I work in a mall, I overhear a whole lot of drama.) Relationships seem entirely dominated by a desire for dominance and indulgence and selfishness. To be considerate of your partner is seen as a freaking miracle. To be constantly in and out of 'love' and then hating them so much you can't stand them and think that everything they do is somehow offensive to humanity is normal. Maybe it's just me but I don't hate a single person that I have loved. And I only use loved in the past tense because I don't know them anymore, so I can't love someone I don't know anymore. And yet... I'm the weird one. 

Like our tendency to expect that love fades and eventually everything will be routine and soul numbing. When did that become the expectation? When did that become so incredibly normal that to even desire something else is seen as naive and impossible? No. I will not settle for that. I don't care what I have to do to keep my marriage fresh and exciting, I'm going to do it. I'm not going to settle for a boring life or a boring marriage, and it makes me really sad that some people have. Oh yea, and it's become normal. So normal that being determined to fight it makes me the weird one. 

Like our culture's tendency to give power of our relationship over to Facebook. Just in care you're one of the rare people that have found this blog outside of Facebook, Anthem and I are not 'facebook official'. Because frankly.. neither of us really care. It doesn't affect our relationship. And yet due to the lack my facebook relationship status not including his name, he's been accused (by various friends and acquaintances) of being a cheater, of being ashamed of me, of being a commitaphobe, and of being a player. That's how much power my generation has given a website. Just for everyone's information, there are specific reasons why we haven't gone 'public' with our relationship. And I trust him, completely. And for trusting my man more than a website... I'm the weird one. 

I am tired, but I'm not giving in. It's my life, and I have the power over it. I've honestly just stopped caring about people's opinions. I enjoy their shocked faces, but am no longer affected by their condescension. Think what you want. I'd rather you think I'm naive than be miserable. Because that's what all of these cultural tendencies have in common. The wife that is married to an imbecile... she's miserable. The in and out of 'love'rs that end up hating half the town because they have dated and dumped (or been dumped) every other week... they're miserable. The married (or simply long term) couples that don't even try to seduce, tease, play, or attempt to enjoy each other anymore... they're miserable. And those whose lives are dominated by a social media site... they're miserable too. 

...I'm so glad I'm the weird one. I just wish everyone was as weird as I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment