Sunday, November 25, 2012

Day Three Hundred and Sixty Four - Love Me For Me, Or GTFO

You don't have to love me. I am just not for some people. I've accepted that. I do not like fundamentalists and they do not like me. We don't make any pretenses about that. But if you're going to love me, then love me. Love all of me. Love the parts you don't like.

Let me be clear, I am not asking you to like them. And I'm not asking you to put up with unhealthy or harmful habits or traits like explosive anger or a drinking problem. I mean things like... You don't have to like that my car is usually messy. Hell, I don't like that about me. You don't have to like that I do not make great first impressions, and stick my foot in my mouth a lot. You don't have to like that I make massive and detailed plans that I very rarely follow through on but like to make them because they calm me down and like to throw them away because I always end up going with spontaneous anyway. But you know what, if you love me, if you really love me, you'll love them. 

It's a lesson my dear friend Sammy taught me a long time ago, and has only proved itself more true in time. "When you love someone," he said, "Really love them, love them more than you love yourself, you'll love even the things you don't like. Because without them, they wouldn't be the person you love so much. Those things are part of them, and you love all of them." I loved that he took longer to get ready than I did. I loved that when he walked into a room, for just a moment, he had to be the center of attention. He loved that I clammed up around new people, especially people he'd talked me up to. He loved my driving. He loved my driving a lot. 

The OSM and I have this with each other as well. I don't like everything about him, and he doesn't like everything about me. But we do love each other very much, and I wouldn't want to change a thing because without them... he wouldn't be the OSM that I love. He wouldn't have such different life experiences and views and use them to fairly constantly challenge everything I think I know. 

In the end... love me for me, or don't pretend to love me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment