Monday, February 20, 2012

Day Eighty Nine - Screw You Cover Girl

As a woman in this country, though it has been said a thousand times, and I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but we are constantly surrounded by pressure to be skinnier, dressed in constantly changing and ever more expensive fashions, and have perfectly done make up and hair from the moment we wake up to the moment we go sleep. I have one word to say to those advertisers: FUCK OFF. 

I have no intention of getting any skinnier. In fact, I want to put on some weight. Muscle weight. I want bigger thighs because I want them to be able to run. I want bigger arms because I want them to be able to actually pull me up. 

I LOVE my jeans. LOVE. Because  I have, in some cases, spent years breaking them in. They fit perfectly. I love my sweatshirts. Especially the ones with the wholes. I love my ratty old tshirts. I love the shirts I've cut and tied. I love love love my clothes and have no desire to buy more that I don't need. Except maybe socks. Dammit they get me every time with socks. 

And I hate make up. I hate how it feels on my skin. I was blessed with a great complexion. Why would I mess with that? I have glasses to accent my eyes. I'll give you that I could probably use a little more pigment, but take that up with me during the summer. 

Look the point of all of this is simply that I'm determined to express my femininity in a way that doesn't require damaging my skin, starving myself, or spending gobs of money I don't have. Today: I felt gorgeous because I put my clothes on in a way I liked, had rag rolled my hair the night before, and used some bobby pins. It took minimal effort and even better, very little time. I'm not saying rebel to the point of dreadlocks, washing your hair is something the marketing people have right, you should do that. But the only thing you need to express you is you. So... you've already got everything you need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment