Friday, February 24, 2012

Day Ninety Three - Words

I love words. I always have. They are fantastic. They are the main (and often sole) way I express my emotions. They are essential. And yet... there are so many of them that I do not full grasp the way I'd like to. I was thinking about it last night.

I've been doing a nightly bible reading (thank you, youversion) and after reading two gospels back to back (and currently working on a third) I find myself understanding things more and more, at least in the new testament. Though my understanding and comprehension of the incredibly complex meaning of "the kingdom of God" is now leaps and bounds ahead of where it was before I started (which, in case you were wondering, was none) it is nowhere near where I want it to be.

Same goes for the terms righteousness, holiness, Son of Man, and gospel or good news. I've grown up around most of those words, and they've been used so much that I thought I understood what they meant and just stopped seeking. But now I realize that I have no real grasp of what they mean, not only in connotation, but in consequence. 

Because how can I strive for righteousness if I'm not entirely sure what that is, or what it looks like in practical application? How can I be holy if I do not understand the consequence of holiness? How can I understand the words of my Lord when He calls Himself 'the Son of Man' and yet all I know about it is a blurb at the bottom of the page? How can I preach the gospel or the good news if I do not understand the consequence of my words, and the meaning of the gospel itself? 

In a world in where its very easy to google anything we don't understand (jfgi), to truly study something until we know it is a rarity. But I'm convinced of the worth of knowing the meanings of those words as well as I know my own name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment