Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day Seventy Eight - I Love You So Much But Not Like That

If I tried to describe in any detail the amazingness of the day I have spent with Bruce (as previously mentioned) was, I wouldn't even come close. There are no words for that, and will probably spend at least 100 days (not consecutively mind you) about stuff that he and I talked about/did today. But there is one aspect of today that I wanted to share with you.

I am completely and totally in love with Bruce. 100%. I love every single thing about him. From his toes to the top of his head. My heart is wrapped around him like a protective shield. He is one of the most important men in my life. But my love for him is the most pure, innocent thing that I have ever done. He is my brother, and there is no getting around it. The though of anything else doesn't churn my stomach only for the fact that it literally can't enter my head. It is impossible.

In our society, that kind of love is mocked and ridiculed, if not believed to be a fairy tale. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard, "A guy and a girl cannot be platonic friends without one or the other wanting to be more than friends." Bruce is my proof. I love Bruce, and Bruce loves me, but you can ask him, although he says I'm an attractive woman, the thought of kissing me makes Bruce want to wretch. Not because I'm disgusting, because he's my brother. My very, very straight brother.

I just want to encourage this type of love. Its wonderful, for both of us. He's one of my best friends and we can talk about everything openly and honestly because NEITHER of us have any sort of agenda. We just love each other. If you have someone like that, cherish them. If you don't, don't turn it away when it comes. Bruce has given me more than I could have ever asked for, but I'd have never known that if I had insisted romantic or nothing. Instead, we took each other as we were, and something beautiful happened. It's not impossible. So go find the unicorn that is the platonic relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment