Friday, February 3, 2012

Day Seventy One - You too

To the kids I can say, "Do you know how much I love you?" and they say, "Yes, Auntie Val." and I said, "How much do I love you?" And they say, "More than I can imagine." I've taught them well. Each and every one knows that they're the most important thing in my world. Because it's true. I love each and every one like they were my only one.

My only brother, on the other hand... "Hey. I love you." I tell him as he's going to work, as his wife and I are chatting. "Ya. You too." He says and ducks out the door. His kids know that I love them, but I doubt my brother has a clue how much I love him.

Be you brother, father, friend, or lover - "You too" is not an acceptable answer for a girl who says, "I love you." EVER. Three little words guys. I know my brother loves me. Its in his genetic code. He has to. Especially since I've never really done anything to deserve not being loved. And with family, if you don't do anything, its sort of automatic. I loved him when he was a jerk. He can love me when I'm being as normal as I get.

What makes you guys do that? Why is it so hard to express affection? Especially when we express ours first? "Hey, I love you." Do you somehow think that if you say, "I love you too," that I'm going to somehow reject that? Do you think I'm going to come back with, "Just kidding! Oh man! I got you!" Seriously? Pretty sure no one has used that line except on their fifth grade crush. I mean really, what's the worst that could happen? I'm your sister. Just say it. Because although I'm your sister, I'm also a girl and for the most part - we NEED to hear it.

SO SAY IT. I don't understand what the hold up is. If you feel it, or even if its simply true, then say it. Tell me you love me. Tell me I'm pretty, I don't care if its a lie, you're my brother, I need to hear it from you. Especially now that dad is gone.

So tell us, please. Tell me please. Men, say the words. What's the worst that could happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment