Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day Ninety Four - NyQuil

We all get sick. And when we are, certain things become more valuable than gold. Puffs with lotion. Vicks vapor rub. Nyquil. And none of that off brand stuff. No one wants scotties tissue when your nose is literally raw. Puffs or Kleenex! It must be! And if there is a generic vicks I don't even know about it because, well, its Vicks or nothing. And Nyquil. 

Have you seen that commercial where a bottle of Tylenol cold and flu (packaged to look incredibly similar to Nyquil) starts going over the list of symptoms that it supposedly helps and actually treats more than Nyquil? Every time I see that commercial I giggle. Why? No, the commercial in itself is not funny. What's funny is that the ad guys at Tylenol are morons. Everyone and their mother (save those poor ignorant folk at Tylenol) knows that no one buys Nyquil because it treats any symptoms. Sure, the cough suppressant is a nice touch. But I don't buy it for that. I buy it because it will knock me out. That's why everyone buys it. And the good ole people at Nyquil know that, and cater to us. We know what it is, we know what it does, and we want it.
And they sell it to us! For outrageously high prices because when we can't sleep, we don't care that it costs the down payment of a small european car, we just want it and we want it right f*ing now. And I still bless their CEO because you know, 7.99$ for about 7 nights sleep is damn well worth it. 

So thank you, brand name sick stuff, because you may be over priced but you do, indeed, make me feel a lot better. 

P.S. If you don't believe me, and say that Nyquil is sold for any other reason than to help you sleep, I dare you to try the non drowsy version, namely Dayquil, and see if it helps your symptoms one damn bit. Dayquil, I'm convinced, it a placebo to convince our boss we really are sick and should thusly go home, where we will take some Nyquil and sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment