Friday, February 3, 2012

Day Seventy - Decibel Level

Holy noise batman. From 5:30 am when Rachel wakes up and crawls out of bed to have her meeting with Nathan in the hallway, to 8:00pm when Joey finally goes to sleep, the noise level here is insane. It is constant too.  It doesn't really ebb and flow, it just stays in the obnoxious level for most of the day.

Don't get me wrong. It's not fit throwing and yelling that raise the noise level to deafening, it's usually laughter and playful 'I'm being chased' screams. And Joey in his bouncer. It's so full of joy, and yet I find myself battling a headache. Then again, going from being home alone most days to suddenly being in house with 8 other people, 6 of whom are under the age of 9 is a little startling. There was no wading into this particular pool, I was suddenly underwater. By the time I have a family of my own, hopefully I will be able to slowly wade into the deafening noise a little slower.

It's strange. At home, I always keep something running in the background because I cannot concentrate in total silence for long. And yet here, the only time I can concentrate at all is when its silent. Poor work, you will have to wait for another day. Oh well.

Perhaps the noise will somehow help the burn out that is starting to set into my bones.

Well, at the very least, having Sarah cuddle with me does. Such loud things can come out of her mouth. And yet when she cuddles she is silent against your chest. Touch can express so much without words. She knows I love her, not because I tell her, but because I hold her. Because I listen to her. Because I laugh with her. Because I join into the noise of her life.

Is that my new definition of love? Joining the noise of another's life?

No comments:

Post a Comment