Monday, April 16, 2012

Day One Hundred and Forty Five - When I Acknowledge His Control

The thing I love most about God is that I will never, ever reach the point where I say, "I understand You entirely." Never, ever, ever. I am always amazed, surprised, endeared, humbled, grateful, and unendingly curious as my God reveals more and more about Himself in my life.

And He is constantly working, and thusly through His actions, constantly revealing Himself, but I notice it a whole lot more when I take a step back and really acknowledge that He is in control and watch Him work.

For instance, this week, I felt very called into the wilderness. I knew He was distancing me from a lot of people, and doing it out of love because He knew I needed some alone time, and more time with Him. I knew He was distancing me from some people, but now I see He's also almost tethering me to others, and to my eye, the choices seem completely random. Or at least they did at first.

But then I started to see things, choices, that on second look were actual rather incredible choices and made with a clear purpose in mind. Now I'm not saying the following examples are conclusive or exhaustive, humans and our relationships are far too complex for that, these are just a few of the things I've noticed over the past few days.

I have felt a distance from my usual tether to reality when I get scared, and tethered to a friend that pushes me out into the world far too often for my comfort.

I have felt a distance from a close Christian friend that I often share my heart with, and tethered to a very broken, very new, friend that, oddly enough, needed me to be broken with her.

I have felt a distance from my close friends who provide me with an escape, and felt closer to a friend with a new form of self expression to teach me.

Looking at it that way, it makes a ton of sense, and is done in total and complete love. Though He may be keeping me close with someone who often takes me out of my comfort zone, He's also providing me with more alone time to recover. I can see His hand firmly directing my steps. Time I planned to spend alone is instead spent laughing with a friend. Time I intended to spend with a friend is instead spent with Him. I'm definitely on my toes, but so far each new twist is a new wonder.

I don't know what's coming next, and I love that, because it seems there is at least one more thing He is teaching me right now: when surprises come from one you trust, then they are wonderful, loving, and exciting. I trust Him. So He can surprise me all He wants to and I won't balk at all.

I encourage you to take a moment tonight, take a step back, and look at your life through the lens of His Omnipotence. What is He doing in your life? What is He changing that is taking you by surprise? And what is that revealing about Him?

My main lesson that I'm taking away from watching Him work? What He sees in people is very different than what I see. And His sight is much more accurate than mine.

God, thanks for taking over control of my social interactions. You do a way better job of deciding who I should be with, when, and where, than I am. You're awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment