Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Fifty Eight - Open Windows

I miss fall. I miss fall for lots of reasons. Not the least of which is my drastically lowered utility bill. I love opening that baby in the fall. It decreases by as much as 80% from the hottest summer and coldest winter months. Because for as long as humanly possible I sleep with my windows open. During the fall, my windows and doors are open 24 hours a day. It gets a little warmer during the day and a little chilly at night, but that's how I like it anyway. I want the chill of the evening to creep into my house. And the air is fresh, and I can smell dry leaves and bonfires and grills and football and apples and cinnamon. It's like my house simply absorbs everything around it because the air just blows through.

I think it's a lot like our minds. I know this sounds weird, but it's something I think the OSM has been trying to teach me since we met. It takes a lot of energy to keep a mind at a certain climate, keeping everything outside of it at bay and heavily filtered. And there are times, during extreme times, that we have to expend that energy. Today, here, is not that time. Today, here, is the time to let the wind blow through. It expands and fills and flavors my mind. I don't have to keep any of it, most of it will just flow right through. But some of it will linger. And of it will swirl and change. And when my windows are open, the things that I create, the sounds, the smells, can float out into the world as well. I feel no need to hoard my own brilliance, nor to keep others out.

No comments:

Post a Comment