Monday, August 20, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Seventy - The Truth About Tithing

Okay, so spending enough time with the OSM has made me realize that there are very few things I can label as 100% truth. And this time, I'm not trying to. But... this is how I understand it.

Tithe. Most people know what it is. Sort of. Giving 10% of your income away to the church. And that's sort of true. But the concept isn't giving 10% away. Or to the church. The concept is that you get to keep 90%. Because none of it was really yours to begin with. It was all a gift. And in thankfulness, you give 10% back. To God. I personally don't give to churches. I give to charities. Because they help people, and that's where I feel as if my money ought to go. And I give even though every month I look at my checking account and know that I cannot afford to give 10% and still pay my bills. And yet, somehow, every month, I can. Most months I even have a little extra. It's mind boggling. 

But it's not a demand. It's a way to show thankfulness for all He has done for me. It's a way to acknowledge my own humility and inability to create anything from nothing. Only He can and did and chose to love me through it all. The more I acknowledge my dependence on Him, the better. The more I acknowledge His possession of everything - of my stuff - of my money - of me - the better. Because only then will I be able to understand that there is more than to life than money and things. That there is more to my life than me. 

That's how I see it at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment