Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Eighty - Rest, Relax, Recharge

I know this guy... who confuses 'blowing off steam' and 'relaxing'. They are NOT the same activity. If you think they are, chances are you're exhausted every Monday morning. Blowing off steam is something that has to happen before you can relax. But if you simply blow off steam, and try to transition that into thinking that relaxing is the same as partying... yea. Exhausted. All The time.

Blowing off steam is important. It is. But so is relaxing. Resting. And recharging. See, it's different for everyone. Just because the movies tell us that you need to blow off steam by going out with friends and having a crazy night doesn't make it true. I can blow off steam by going on a jog, or a drive, or just talking to someone. Granted, going out with friends does work too, but since I don't drink anymore, it's less appealing. For me, resting and recharging comes from being productive. My Mondays are so much easier if instead of staying up late to rebel against my alarm clock and sleep til noon on Saturday and Sunday, I catch up on my sleep and wake up relatively early. My Mondays are better when my dishes are done and my laundry is clean and put away. My Mondays are better when I completed some project and my house is brighter. That's how I relax and recharge.

My question to you: do you know how you relax and recharge? Or are you doing what you think is supposed to relax you? Doing dishes doesn't relax everyone, but it does relax me. Writing doesn't help everyone blow off steam but it does help me. Having clean sheets doesn't set everyone up for the week but it does me. And when I accepted what does rest me and recharge me, like going to bed when I'm tired even though 2 hours on Zelda sounds pretty nice, life got a whole lot easier.

Make your life easier. Do what YOU need to do to blow off steam, to rest, to relax, and then recharge. No matter how silly or stupid it seems, do what you need to do for you. Or the rest of your life might be through bleary eyes and weary limbs. And really. That's no way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment