Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Ninety Four - Football Church

Every Saturday I wake up, excited. Every Saturday, I get to join a congregation of people who, while vastly different, hold one single thing in common, and we gather together in various locations to participate in the same event. We shout with one voice. We celebrate together. We all share in our defeats. We put aside our differences, we focus on our commonalities, and for a short time we are one. 

I wish church was like that. I'd go, if church was like that. Instead, I have been abused, demonized, and cast out of churches. I have watched them fall apart over trivial, insignificant details. I have watched people claw at each other. I have witnessed more back stabbing than I thought was possible. All in churches, by regular attendees who claim that they love Jesus more than everyone else, and will do anything, other than love their neighbor, to prove it to you. 

So for now, as horrible as a Christian it might make me, I just avoid the entire debacle. I long for Christian fellowship, I do. But God is good, He has provided me people, just not people in a building. I'm okay with that, for now. Someday, I'll know how to make a difference. Someday, I'll know how to participate, and protect others from what I have experienced. 

Until then, I go to my football church on Saturdays, and try and live out my faith the other 6 days of the week. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of this. For now, it simply is.  


No comments:

Post a Comment