Friday, March 16, 2012

Day One Hundred and Fourteen - Mouse or Dynamite?

There are two types of people in the world in this drastic over-generalization I am about to make to make a point.  One type knocks politely at the door of your heart until you let them in. The other uses whatever means at their disposal to get in. And those are the people I want to talk about.

I like those people. I am one of those people. My friend Sammy used to explain it like this: "I am a brick of dynamite, I blow the doors open and start snooping before you even know what hit you, and once I'm in, I won't stop. You, on the other hand, are like a mouse. You sneak in and start working long before anyone is aware of your presence, and when they figure out you're in there, you're too damn cute to kick out." Granted, that is one hell of a paraphrase, but I'm over it. Because frankly, for the most part, it's true.

Turns out as a Mouse, I tend to gravitate toward Dynamite. Well, no. Turns out I simply found another one. As a mouse, I'm very protective of my own door and open that door very infrequently and even when I do, only a tiny sliver of a crack at a time. I manipulate conversations and situations to make sure we stay far away from the stuff that I really don't want to talk about, the stuff I really don't want anyone to know about. Damn Dynamite. See the problem with Dynamite is that you don't have to open the door. You don't have to unlock it. You just have to let them get close enough to the door and they do the rest.

They break in, and you're so assaulted by their very presence that you're defenseless. You just stand there as they begin to rummage and dig and sort and snoop. It takes a while for you to even register what has happened, what is happened. And the Dynamite are freaking Ninjas. They're in, doing their digging, rearranging, hell even just casting a little light on the place, and by the time you realize what has happened, they've screwed the hinges back on the door like nothing ever happened.

As much as Dynamite pisses me off due to it's extreme violation of my tightly held control and the disruption of things, deep things, hidden things, that haven't seen light in a very long time, I am thankful for those assholes. Without them, no one would ever get in, the dark would stay dark, I would have no help, no light to shed on things long buried. I hate what they do, but I love the fact that they do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment