Friday, March 9, 2012

Day One Hundred and Seven - Patience

I'm terrible with patience. Instead of trying to convince you, allow me to illustrate the point with a little story about me as a kid.

We all know my deep and desperate love for all things Zelda. Well, when I was a kid, I had a gameboy. And Christmas was coming, and as I had handpicked my gift (Ocarina of Seasons) I just... couldn't wait. Every day after I came home from school and before mom came home from work I would, very carefully, unwrap the present, take the came out of its molded plastic by the careful cut I had made, take it out of the little cardboard box, and play it. Before she got home, I would put it away and package it and she never knew. By the time I opened it on Christmas morning, I had played it half way though.

I've never been good with patience. But after spending years waiting for something over which I have no control, it's gotten a hell of a lot easier. And that's how it works with patience. It's not something you receive, it's something you learn. Over time. And it's now been years, and the waiting has changed me.

Because it's not about getting to the end, anymore. I thought it was. But it's not. It never has been. It's about who I am when I get there. And... well... for the first time in my life, I'm really happy with who I am. I know that when I get there, I'll be ready. And that was worth all the waiting in the world.

1 comment: