Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day One Hundred and One - The Interwebs

I. LOVE. The interwebs. And yes, I'm going to use the term 'interwebs' for this entire blog, so get over it. I love it so so very much, especially pinterest, facebook, and hulu. LOVE.

I. HATE. The interwebs. I hate it so very, very much, especially pinterest, facebook, and hulu. HATE.

Both of those statements are true. I love pinterest. Because it really is full of amazing stuff. For instance, (I HAD to give a shout out) I found this recipe for homemade laundry detergent on pinterest. Super simple. 1 cup washing soda. (Arm & Hammer sells it and I found it at Fareway so it should be easily accessible.) 1 cup 20 mule team Borax (again, Fareway). 1 bar of finely grated ivory soap. Stir for 5 minutes. Add 1-2 tablespoons per load. I have about 300 loads worth of the stuff for less than $6. And even more importantly, it WORKS like MAGIC. For instance: for a girl who doesn't sweat very much, I have a magical talent for "pitstaining" every white shirt I owned. I tried EVERYTHING to get it out. Tide. Super tide. Bleach. Super bleach. Stain pens. Soaking. EVERYTHING. You know what it took? A 1 hour soak in some washing soda and borax. White as the day I bought it. WELL DONE INTERWEBS.

I hate pinterest. It eats my life. But in a far more productive way then Hulu or say Netflix. Honestly. I pay for netflix and it eats my life. But the difference between netflix and say barnes and noble is that most reading (most, I grant you, twilight gave me nothing) gives you something in return. Zoning out in front of a TV does mostly nothing. A half and hour here or there, or a movie with loved ones, those are great. But a pit fall of mine happens to be wasting hours of time watching stuff because... well I'm not sure why.

I'm gonna chalk it up to the brat.

But here's the kicker: the motivators are stronger than the brat. I cancelled my Netflix subscription today. Because I've literally watched all of the good things on it. Including every episode of mythbusters. Three times. I also cancelled my XBox Live subscription. Because I almost never get new games, so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Because the only person I ever talk to on it is having her third kid tomorrow (good luck!)  and I'm assuming will be a bit occupied for the next few months at least. Because it was $15 a month that I wasn't really getting my money's worth from.

There is a big world out there that has a lot to offer, and as the snow continues to melt and the air warm, I know I'll be spending more time in it. Even just for walks. Or runs. And there are books to be read, and books to be written. There are all sorts of things to be done that do not involve my ass on a couch watching a screen.

If nothing else, there are thoughts to be thought.

So here's to loving and hating the internet. But mostly loving, because it's not the internet's fault that I have poor self control. And if I can have a bit more of it, then the internet and I will be at peace once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment