Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day One Hundred and Twenty Nine - Mushroom Hunting With Dad

For all of my father's flaws, he was a good dad. And he was an excellent mushroom hunter. I remember going mushroom hunting with him and it was always fun. We didn't always find any, but when we did we feasted. And I loved the hunt. And I loved going with my dad.

I went mushroom hunting today, and it started off a little rocky. I was unsure, it had been so long since I'd been hunting. Would the old ground still be good? I was nervous, I had brought others with me. What if we all came away empty handed? I was anxious about it until I got into the woods and remembered my dad walking with me. He was not known as a patient man, but with me, mushroom hunting, patience was his virtue. I never felt bad if I didn't find any. He just put his arm around me and said, "We'll get 'em next time." He wasn't disappointed. You just don't find the elusive buggers every time you look, no matter how determined you may be. And it's okay. I felt much, much better after that and was able to truly enjoy the rest of the hunt. I'm thankful for my father's voice in the woods, telling me that he was proud of me no matter the result. It was the experience, the hunt, the time together that mattered. 

I also spent time with my heavenly Father today and He (per usual) surprised me again. The first thing He said to me wasn't a condemnation of all the ways I've failed, or a list of all the things He wants me to do. Instead, He asked a very simple question, "How are you?" Of course He knows, but He wants me to tell Him. He wants me to let Him in, to share, to express myself, like any other good Father wants from His child. Not every conversation with God has to be about moving or growing or finding the spiritual jack pot. Sometimes, it's just about the time together. Sometimes, He just wants to listen. Let you know He's there, that He cares. 

And that... that's what I really needed today. So thanks dad for teaching me how and where to hunt for mushrooms, and Dad, thanks for listening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment