Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Seventeen - Only He Knows

Today, as I was driving home, my shuffle stumbled upon a very good, fairly old (by my standards) song called "I Am" by Jill Phillips. One of the lyrics is "I'm the only one who knows your heart's desires." And it occurred to me that 'only one' is not hyperbole. Often times, I get confused about what my heart really desires. It seems to be ever changing. Some things remain constant. I want good for my friends, I want health for my family, I want to be a better woman. But anything more than that gets easily lost in my emotions.

So tonight, I asked God as I was driving, "What is my heart's desire?"

I love how blunt He can be. "You want to marry the man your heart is in love with, you just don't know who or where that man is right now." Dead on. And my eyes are still pointed in the wrong direction. I'm stubborn like that. I want answers to years old questions rather than looking toward the hope that is the future. I need to get my priorities straightened out. I need to remember what I'm really working toward. And He seems to be the only One that knows where my heart is and where it needs to go.

And the flat out truth is that I just don't spend enough time with Him. And He can't do all He wants to if I'm not spending time with Him. I'm just terrible at time management. I've been getting better lately, this job sort of forces my hand, but only with needs. And I haven't categorized time with God as a need, and it really should be.

Because only He knows me well enough to lead me, exactly how I need to be led. Change me, move me, grow me, love me. Only Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment