Monday, June 25, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Sixteen - When Anger Motivates

First of all, I'd like to give a shout out to my friend who works at Verizon Wireless. He did me a SOLID this afternoon and I am so incredibly grateful. He saved me a lot of money with no gain to himself other than being a legit human being. Because he literally profited nothing from his time spent on me (an hour and a half) he has made sure both me (and my friend, he helped us both) will never go anywhere else when we have cell phone money to spend. His commission check deserves my next upgrade.

If my mechanics treated me like he did, my car would run til 2030. Mechanics, in general, (my landlord and co-worker's boyfriend not included) are giant assholes. They seem to delight in taking advantage of people. And by people, I mean single women who don't have anyone 'mechanical' looking out for them to keep the bastards in line. They've gotten more advanced since 'headlight fluid' because we caught on to that. Most of us could even change our own tire in we really had no other choice. But when they tell me that I need a new radiator fan motor when really my vent door is jammed open with road debris, which means hundreds of dollars difference in the fix, it fills me with rage. I'm working my ass off to pay my bills, and end up with nothing at the end of the month each and every time. I need my car to get to and from work. And these fuckers decide that its okay to cheat me out of hundreds of dollars because they can?


No. That is not okay. Not to do to me, or to do to anyone else. So I had an idea. Why not get educated? I checked, the tuition wouldn't cost that much. It'd cost my average mechanics bills of three to five years. It would pay itself off in just a few years. And maybe, God willing, maybe, someone else, multiple others, would get just as outraged as I feel right now and help me change it. How amazing would it be to open a shop (with men and women who didn't feel like cheating anyone less fortunate) whose slogan was 'has anyone ever told you you needed headlight fluid? come see us.' Imagine being able to HELP single mothers and single women rather than push them further into debt. Imagine having the knowledge to donate time to these women who make the world go round. Imagine standing up for those who cannot stand for themselves. Imagine helping to educate them about their vehicles, about how to properly maintain it.

This anger is motivating me. I have had it with this level of unnecessary injustice. And I can fix it. With a few classes over the next year and a half to two years, I can start bringing an end to it, at least around here. This anger is pure motivation. I'm not saying I'll be able to open my own shop, but I can say that I am done being screwed over, and so are the women I love. I'll be the 'mechanical' person that watches out for them.

Out of sheer curiosity, what pisses you off? And what are you going to do about it?


No comments:

Post a Comment