Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day Two Hundred - Hate and Love, Love and Love

First, I just want to say that I checked 3 of the 4 things on my Hundred Day list off, and the 4th I've made great progress on. I may have waited until the very last minute, but I did them dammit.

For today's blog, I wanted to talk about the difference between love hate relationships and love love relationships. I have love hate relationships with a lot of things. Running, for example. I love the endorphin high. I love the results. I love the stress relief. I HATE actually running. I hate everything about it. I hate feeling like I'm out of breath. I hate the burn in my legs. I hate the cramps in my gut. I hate pushing through it. I have a love hate relationship with change. I love change but it's exhausting. Whether it's the daily life changes, changing myself, actively changing my life, any and all change takes energy in one form or another. In most of my love hate relationships I long for montages. I want the results but not the work.

Love love relationships are rare, but they're amazing. I love love climbing. I love everything about climbing. I love the stretch, I love the burn, I love the tremble, I love the challenge. I love the results just as much as running. But I love the work. I love love writing. It is the single most entertaining thing in the world next to reading. I love love to cook. I love learning, experimenting, and eating the food I make. I even love failing because then I get to laugh at myself and try again.

Life is full of love hate relationships, but when you find those love love relationships, for all that is good and sugary don't give them up. Make time for them, pursue them. They are part of you. I'm a monkey and a writer and a cook. I'm okay with that. They soothe me when life gets rough. Because those are parts of me that can't be wrong. There is no sin in climbing, no character defect in writing, no one ever got mad at me because I baked. Yet life presses in, and steals my time. My nights are short, I have to make time to cook or it wouldn't happen. If it wasn't for this blog, it would have been months since I last wrote. Writing takes more time than I have to give, which is why I'm so very thankful for this blog. It keeps me sharp until I can sit on a beach and write a grand old story. Or at least start one and fill it in slowly. You get the idea. And I haven't climbed in years.

But I was thinking today, my friends are fitness freaks. I love you guys, but you are. And you're all a bunch of runners and lifters and things I either can't do or don't really want to. But I do want to get in shape. How could I do that and not loathe every second? Climbing. Climbing is my answer.

If there is something in your life that you want to do, but don't know how, simply ask yourself, what would 9 year old you have done? 9 year old you had love love relationships and school. Everything you did, other than school, chores, and visiting weird relatives was done because you loved doing it.

So go do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment