Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Forty One - Class

Sometimes, when living where I do (and those of you who live there with me will understand to a certain extent) I sometimes lose sight of what it means to be classy. Myself completely included. Please, please understand I do not mean 'wealth' when I say 'class'. You can have class regardless of wealth, and you can have wealth regardless of class.

But this weekend, it was delightfully refreshing to be reminded. I spent the weekend moving The Gentleman. Which does make me sad, I'd rather he not live 3 hours away from me, but it's a wise move on his part. But being around him for three days straight really reminded me of what it's like to act with class. I watched him act and react with calm and consideration day after day after day. I tried not to just stare at him. I was mesmerized.

And my reaction was to immediately act as a mirror to him. I followed his lead to the best of my ability. Being around him just makes me feel as if there is hope for humanity. And also as if I need to just be a classier person. But not in a bad way, I never felt bad about who I was. I was simply inspired to be better.

And that's what class does. Real class. Real class inspires you. It inspires everyone you're around. It's not pretentious or stuffy. It doesn't flaunt or taunt. It doesn't belittle or discourage. It does uplift and engage. It is considerate and compassionate. It is gentle. It is unobtrusive. It is calming.

Class is not something you're born with. Class is something you learn. Something you can only learn by example. And that's what he does, he shows me all the time how to treat people well. And he treats me so well. And it's not because he's trying. It's because of who he is. Because class is something that becomes part of you, and something you don't lose over time.

If you find someone that inspires you to be better, don't just let them walk in and out of your life. Learn from that person, and shine brighter because of it. I could certainly use more class. The world could always use more class.

No comments:

Post a Comment