Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Thirty Nine - The Small Stuff

I did something extraordinarily romcom today. I let a dream affect my morning. Well, the hallucinations didn't exactly help. Let me explain.

I've loved this week. Each and every day has been fantastic, though exhausting. I haven't had more than 6 hours of sleep a night since Friday night. Which, if we've ever met, you understand has made me a bit of a zombie. I was a little scared about driving to work today because well... I hadn't exactly woken up yet. And even after I had, I'm fairly sure I hallucinated a solid half of my day. That or the hospital is suddenly overrun with unicorns and hilarious leprechauns. Which would make my freaking day. But I do indeed doubt they'll be there tomorrow. Anyway, back to the point. I had a dream that I got a small novel of a text message from the Gentleman and frankly, it was the only reason I decided to open my eyes this morning. I reached for my phone, my eyes still closed, but a smile on my face, hit my snooze, and cracked an eye to read the message. There was no message. It was crushing. Nothing. Nada. Not even a freaking facebook update. It took every ounce of delusional willpower to get myself out of bed and get ready for work. 

Now, I realize that I was being silly. It was a dream. I cannot be upset that I dreamed the Gentleman did something and then did not in real life. It is absurd. It still sucked. 

Luckily for my sanity, (well, most of it, cause the leprechauns were funny) the OSM came in with a mood altering text to perk me right back into normalcy. I'm aware it was silly to let a dream affect my mood, but when I'm that tired, there is very little I can do about it. And frankly, I'm proud that I handled it as well as I did. The Gentleman had been out last night saying a few farewells (I'll catch you up during the weekend blogs, I'm sure) and I was not about to disturb him in the wee hours of the morning when he had to work a full day. And I functioned completely normally (other than trying not to converse with the funny leprechauns when other people was around because hallucinations or not, I was damn sure I was the only one who could see them) at work, and even managed to hustle. All the same, a dream did affect me. And a single text turned it around. (Thank you, OSM. Hope you got your wish.) 

The secret of it all is that it's a two headed coin. I don't like the fact that a silly little disappointment in the morning can bring me down, even a little bit. But I love the fact that a single gesture can turn my entire day around. I think a lot of us are more like that than we'd like to think. Sure it's all about positive thinking and not sweating the small stuff, but it's also all about the small stuff. Any day is better and easier when someone else helps, even just a little. The little things that have no right to affect us in such big ways are the things our life is ultimately composed of. And we keep trying to not sweat the small stuff, and yet cherish the little things and treasure them up in our hearts. Because with a heart full of little things, we can make it through anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment