Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Thirty Eight - Common Denominator

Also known as: stepping outside of my comfort zone without even knowing it. Way to be me. Tonight, as we all know, is Tuesday and thusly Erica night. Erica and I happen to share a deep and forever love of the card game Spades. We have been looking for two friends to join us in this for... well... years. Within the last week, we happen to have found them. So the four of us got together tonight and played Spades. It was glorious.

It wasn't until everyone left though, that I realized a rather shocking truth. I was the common denominator in the group. Granted, Erica and Marlise know each other, but not well enough (I believe) to have spent time together without a mutual friend, at least before tonight. And The Gentleman was there solely because I knew him. And... it went smashingly. We were laughing, we were sharing, we were enjoying each other. It was absolutely fantastic.

See, I used to have a number of different friend groups that never really mingled. Now, all of my friend groups are slowly coming together and now I remember why having one solid group with a number of spectacular individuals made for such an amazing summer a few years back. Instead of trying to be the me that best fits with each group, (and thusly selecting who I hung out with based on which side of me was dominant at the time), I get to be all of me at once, and still fit in with everyone. It's incredibly liberating.

By having different views on life and religion, having vastly different personalities, hobbies, backgrounds, and aspirations, the 'box' that a group is usually defined by vanishes. It isn't a Christian group as not all of the friends are Christian, though some are. It isn't a guy group or a girl group. It is neither defined by alcohol use or abstinence. Frankly, if I had to use a single term to 'define' this group it would simply be 'interesting'.

That is the common denominator. And because there is no label, there is no box, and no fear of going outside of it. It allows each person to be fully themselves, rather than putting the focus on any one side of them. It allows for... wholeness.

I guess I have nothing to wrap this up with other than thankfulness. I am so grateful to the amazing people that fill my life. So thankful that they, through their acceptance of their own complexity, have brought me closer to accepting mine. And have helped me see the beauty in others'. And the best part is... there is no end in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment