Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Twenty Eight - Perspective

My life situation hasn't changed in 3 years. I live paycheck to paycheck. My roommate is my mom. I owe money on student loans, and I'm slowly paying off my car. I live in a tiny apartment. I'm still single. I don't have a stable job. I'm planning on going back to school. I hate it. This is not what I envisioned my life would be at 24.

My life has changed drastically in the last three years. I am a completely different person. I love and am loved. I love the way no two days of my life are ever the same. I adore living with my mom. I love that she and I are so close and get along so well. After getting a 4 year degree that cost 120k, I owe less than 10k now and will have it all paid off by 2015, my car as well. Living in tiny apartments has taught me how to live with little and yet feel as if I have it all. I am simply not ready to be anything other than single. I've got a job. I'm excited about going back to school to try something new that may prove to be stable and finally find my own way. This is not a bad place to find myself in at 24. 

It's all about perspective. When I was a kid, everyone said I was going to do absolutely amazing things. Change the world. Be a high powered lawyer or start my own company or... I actually don't know what they thought I was going to be but I guarantee you it wasn't a broke girl still trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life. You know what they never talked about though? They never talked about the friendships I would have. They never talked about the time it takes to strengthen character. They never talked about the fulfillment that comes from finding my own way. They never talked about how, though I want to have so many adventures, deep in my heart, I am a home body and delight in domestic pursuits. They never took me into the equation at all. Only my potential. (Yes, dear OSM, I am coming to hate that word almost as much as you.) They defined me by what I could be, and a job.

Why? Why does what we do to earn money define us so heavily in this culture? 

I still couldn't tell you exactly what I want. But I can tell you that fulfillment doesn't come by fulfilling everyone's expectations of who they thought you would be. Or even who you thought you would be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment