Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day Two Hundred and Thirty Two - A Dramaless Day

Sometimes, being an adult sucks. There are bills and responsibilities that they kind of told you about but you didn't really realize what it was going to be like. And it is nothing like what you thought it was going to be like. But sometimes, being an adult is awesome. Today was one of those days. Let me explain.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I was exhausted, I didn't feel good, a banking error did not go in my favor, and I seriously considered calling in for a mental health day. But a banking error not in my favor just means that I needed that 8 hours even more. So I put on my big girl panties and toughed it out. 

But it wasn't even toughing it. I listened to good music on my way to work and drank a cup of coffee and resolved to have a good day. And it was a good day. I got to do my favorite part of my job for the whole day. That helped. When it came time for lunch, which has become theological/philosophical/literary discussions with Justin The-overly-cheerful-boiler-room-guy, I apologized for being a little over the top yesterday. I was afraid I'd offended my lunch time friend. He assured me that I hadn't, and our discussion picked up exactly where it had left off the day before. No. Drama. 

The most cranky co-worker in the world has yet to find a way to be outright bitchy to my good natured cheerfulness, which is not only entertaining to me, but dramaless. I genuinely try to be kind and helpful to her, and genuinely try not to giggle as it flusters the hell out of her. Drama. Less. 

But what I really liked most about today was how silent my phone stayed for most of it. Because I'm working and because my friends are working and it's the middle of the week and we all have lives. When my phone doesn't go off it's not because I'm being ignored, it's because everyone else is as busy as I am. Probably busier, if I'm going to be honest. For the longest time it seemed that every guy I was interested in became some sort of leech, wanting to be in every moment of my life because unlike him, I actually had one. But now, as an adult, I find myself surrounded by people who have their own lives, their own friends, and we simply realize that we are a welcome addition to each others lives. 

There is no saving anyone, there is no fixing anything, there is just a life lived - sometimes together. Most of all, I was thankful for two things. 1) We stay in each other's lives for the very simple reason that we want to be. Drama. Less. 2) In the very short amount of time that I just started being blatantly honest with people my life has gotten much better. I cannot stress enough to just tell people what's on your heart. It's a lot less drama then I thought it would be. Rather than create it, it got rid of it. 

Somedays, I love being an adult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment