Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day Three Hundred and Nine - Me Too

"If you have big dreams, in order to fit into your life, I must have small ones."

I'm not sure when I learned this, but it's something I've been living by for a few years now. And it's totally and completely wrong. My dreams do not have to be small to fit into the world of the larger dreamers. I do not have to be shelved or accomplish my dreams in the margins of the novel of another life. Screw that. 

My dreams are big too. I want to be a writer. I want to be the next J.K. Rowling. Because her story of love and friendship and hope reached millions upon millions of lives - kids and adults alike. Because she encouraged an entire generation to start reading, and made them fall in love with it. J.K. Rowling did for children's literacy what Jane Austen did for romantic novels. And I want to keep that tradition going, with kids and adults alike.

I have no idea why I've been putting them in such a small box for so long. But I know that I'm not going to anymore. The thing about being stretched, is that there is more room to fill up than there was before. Though, it leaves you more vulnerable. I'll take the trade. It's worth it. And I know it's worth it because... the more I reveal my big dreams, the more Anthem is stepping up next to me and saying, "Yes. Yes, I'll fight for your dreams too. I don't care what they are. They're yours. And so they're precious. And so I'll fight for them with you." 

Being in the world of a big dreamer just means that now you have someone that will help you fight for your dream, just as you'll help them fight for theirs. It just means you're not alone. It just means that someone will look at your dreams, smile, and say, "Me too."

No comments:

Post a Comment