Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day Three Hundred and Thirteen - Cliches

Just a heads up, I am so blissfully happy, I find myself mildly annoying. I totally know I'm doing it. Like today. Today a buddy of mine was telling me about the next time his good friend is coming to see him and I found one insignificant thing he said that I was able to morph into talking about how blissfully happy I am with Anthem. Yes. I am that girl. You really do have my apologies. Not for being happy, but for being unable to shut up about it. That being said, all of the cliches I spent my life despising/longing for are mostly true. 

"One day, you'll meet someone that will make you understand why it never worked with anyone else." I always hoped that one was true. It is. Sweet mother of all that is good and sugary it is. It never worked with anyone else because they weren't Anthem. I have never been so chased, so cherished, so protected, so helped, so encouraged, so supported, so excited, so safe, so hopeful. On a scale of one to ten, everyone before was a solid 1 and Anthem is 9837297. Roughly. 

"When you know, you know." I never really liked this one. Honestly, could it be more vague? I thought I knew before. I was like, "Yea, this could work... maybe." And now... now I get it. It's not vague. It's certain. When you know, you know. And I know. It's just that simple. If it isn't, then you don't know. Then you haven't known. Not yet anyway. 

"The best things in life are worth waiting for." So. True. I'd wait forever for him. I had no idea how wonderful a man could be. I had no idea what I was missing. Now that I know, I'd wait for it forever. The thought of anyone settling for less simply breaks my heart. This. This is how love is supposed to be. This is the love that brings you to life. This is the love that makes your soul sing. Just with this small taste, I'd wait until the stars fell down for it. 

"It'll happen when you least expect it." Now, see, for us overanalyzers, that one is tricky. Because as soon as we see a situation in which our focus should be on something else, like work or friends or self improvement, we immediately think, "Hey! I'm not expecting it. So... can it happen now?" Which entirely defeats the point. And yet, though I had that thought when I decided to be all about work and getting my life together (which frankly I still am) I still never saw Anthem coming. I could have never, ever expected that it would be like this. Because I didn't fully believe this sort of thing really happened. I didn't believe men like Anthem were real. I'd never experienced anything even close. And before I knew it, I was living it out. I was the girl other girls were going to be jealous of. 

The entire point of this cliche rant is this: you can't know what it is until you do. It's just impossible. You can see it (I hope to be able to model it for my children so they have an idea of what to look for) but they won't know what it feels like. I can tell my friends, but the ones who haven't had it yet won't understand. And the thing is, because we're all a little angsty teenager at heart, we'll be so convinced that we do know what it is. And that we'd had it. Until we do. Just like that 12 year old that swears up and down she's a teenager now and when she's 18 she's telling all the 12 year olds that they have no idea what they're talking about. For those of you who know exactly what I'm talking about, I am now far less annoyed by your vague cliches. For those of you who don't: DON'T SETTLE. Don't ever, ever give up. It's worth waiting for. I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment