Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day Three Hundred and Thirty Four - Redefining Respect

Today, I read a Facebook post that stopped me in my tracks. "A single male friend here on tour complimented me on my hair today, but only after he asked my husband first if he minded. Floored by that act of respect for my husband and my marriage! "

At first, that seemed a little over the top for me. But then I realized that my perception was the one that was warped. That should be how all marriages are treated and respected. At least, that's how I want mine to be, and how I want those around me to act. I will have made a solemn vow to respect, love, cherish, and help my husband grow closer to God, while committing our marriage to the building of the Kingdom. Those are not words to take lightly, neither for the two of us who will exchange them, nor those who respect us and our marriage. 

It is humbling to know how much retraining my mind needs to see things the way God sees them, rather than they way my society sees them. Thank You, God, for setting such excellent examples for me to see, so that I can learn as much as I can before I take the vows. 

I realize that not everyone sees marriage this way or will show the same deference to it, but it is a standard that I want to meet in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment